Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Don't Give a Fig, If You Don't Dig! That I'm Around

I've finally managed to track down Smashing Time, a legendary 1967 film by Desmond Davis, starring British 60s faces Rita Tushingham and Lynn Redgrave. I first heard about it as a Television Personalities song title, of course, then heard Death By Chocolate's version of "While I'm Still Young" from the soundtrack. It's a musical you see, the actors are singing - only not on camera. And if you watch intently you might get a glimpse of Tomorrow performing at a party!

The film has been released on dvd in the US, but it's out of print. So imagine my joy when
I came upon this blogpost at I'm Learning to Share. Not only can you get the original version of "While I'm Still Young" by Lynn Redgrave - there's a link to the Rita Tushingham Home Page! From there you can order vhs or dvd copies of most of the films she's been in, including Smashing Time.

So, about the song then. In the film it's a hit recording by Yvonne (Lynn Redgrave). She can't sing but after flicking some switches in the studio it suddenly sounds hip! The vocal is still hilarious though, and I was quite frankly shocked when I first heard it. Since then I've started to dig it more and more and now I think it's genius!

No comments: