Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Dial # For Hit of the Week

Are #Poundsign# the BEST band ever, or the best band EVER? I've been hearing about them for years and have been aching to hear them since The Young Tradition covered their "Isolation" on their first ep. Now finally I have listened to their two albums: Wavelength, and Under the Marquee. The first, from 1998, is the masterpiece but the second has some great tunes, like "Coffee Flavoured Friend". They sound like a cross between Majestic and Brent Kenji's first band Skypark; with the crisp bouncy drumming of the former and the bright guitar tone and honeyed female vocals of the latter (courtesy of Alicia of The Aislers Set and Dear Nora). There are also some similarities to Rocketship and Brittle Stars. In other words, everthing which is great about American indiepop! Here is the last song on Wavelength. And there's a short interview from the Kickstand fanzine on Indiepages.

2 comments:

Fire Escape said...

Have you heard the Michigan/Rooftops single? For my money, that's the peak of the Poundsign output. And what a peak. If you don't have it, I'll happily upload it for you. It's a gem and no mistake.

Anonymous said...

I'll absolutely second that ... 'Michigan' is a FANTASTIC single and certainly their best. I think I played it to you when you were in Glasgow. If I didn't, though, you should slap me next time you are unfortunate enough to clap eyes on my ugly bug mug.
'Isolation' is a great tune, too ...