Saturday, October 18, 2008

Then When I Scream

I forgot to mention that The Postmarks have recently added one more cover to their website, it's a version of Ministry's "Everyday Is Halloween". As they wrote "for your Halloween mixes" I decided to make one... even though I'm not sure exactly when it happens. And so here it is! Click on the picture to make the tracklist big enough to read. The archive below comes with a printable wraparound sleeve as well. Please note that you need both parts before you can uncompress it.

I have to admit it's a bit of a tricky theme for a mixtape, unless you stick to mention of ghosts - of which there is plenty. I'm quite happy with this however; I tried not to make it too eclectic, but still it contains everything from yé-yé singer Christine Pilzer to riot grrrl mainstays Heavens to Betsy and Kevin "Lil' Hospital"s new lo-fi project Knight School. And lots of old-school indiepop of course, with The Chills and The Bats making natural appearances! I'm especially pleased with fitting northern soul dancer "Trick Me, Treat Me" in there. Other non-obvious, but fitting, choices are The Strangeloves bubblegum hit "I Want Candy", some moody garage from The Evil and sunshine pop outfit October Country (who have also recorded "My Girlfriend Is a Witch"!). The brilliantly titled "What Did Your Last Servant Die of?" by the Weddoes sadly has no lyrical connection to the theme, but how could I resist including it?

As always, you think of things you should have included immediately. Like The Lollipop Shoppe's "You Must Be a Witch" that I listened to only yesterday!

CLOUD 75 V/A - The Splendour of Fear

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great mix! Thanks for including us!

Dennis said...

Looks great, as usual!