Friday, October 26, 2007

Hey! Are You Real?

Or just too good not to be true? And is it just me or does The Railway Children's "Another Town" make you feel really claustrophobic? "Lost summer in the crowd, deep down underground"? There couldn't be a bigger difference between that feeling and the one I get from Any Other City and songs like "New Town". It's more one of bursting through the roof, encircling the houses with trembling wings, climbing to icarusian heights. In short everything that made me love bands like Architecture In Helsinki, The Royal We and Slow Club. It sounds like New York noise and riot grrrl, and it's definitely the coolest vocal delivery I've heard since... can't remember. I just can't believe how long it's taken me to discover Life Without Buildings. They were from Glasgow after all. Earlier this year a live album was released, which I think Alistair mentioned. The live version of "New Town" was the first I heard, and it was impossible not to fall in love! Actually they broke up years ago, and their only album is now seven years old. Here's a song from that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes Life Without Buildings were pretty special.
Their songs burst with life and joy although there is a little sadness in there as well I think.

It is a pitty they split up after just the one album, but what an album it is. They probably would have been hard pushed to better it.

Bart