Thursday, September 3, 2009

Some People Sleep

I've been wanting to hear Tim Felton's post-Broadcast band Seeland now for years. While looking around once more for their Crimson 12" - one of only two singles they've done since 2005 - I was thrilled to discover that they have just released their first album! Just like with the Duophonic ep, the cover is once again amazing. And of course one of the best songs is called "Library", and that's also available as a single.

The sound is quite similar to Broadcast, not surprisingly, but Mike Bainbridge (ex-Plone) adds some warm electronic elements. Actually, Tomorrow Today makes me think much more of the lovely Melbourne group Minimum Chips (that included one Guy Blackman), that I was introduced to by friends when I was there. I can see myself listening to this album many times over this autumn!

Also worth picking up is the new ep from Glasgow darlings Strawberry Whiplash, who have a new ep out on Matinée. We played the title-track "Picture Perfect" in May already. I can't wait to hear the other tracks on this.

3 comments:

Matt said...

that seeland record is one of my favorites of the year, i think. i've been playing a lot since the beginning of summer! i'd say it works a bit better with an autumn backdrop though.

brogues said...

Ah, Plone! I was just listening to their cd the other day and it sounded every bit as wonderful as I remembered it to be. Not sure if you saw my blog posting but Boomkat is selling 'Lady Grey' by Minimum Chips for 2.99. Another magnificent record! Somebody on the anorak forum has posted a link to the 2nd unreleased Plone lp...

brogues said...

Hey chap! Saw Seeland at Moseley Folk Festival on Friday and they were the tops. They were playing as The Pastels were setting up. I'll definitely pick up the album after reading your review and seeing them.